Saturday, June 4, 2011

When the smoke comes...

I'm just 30 miles or so from the NE finger of the Wallow Fire (maybe less, depending on where the leading edge of the fire is now), directly in the path of the fire but not so close that I'm too worried.  A pattern of smoke has been established that allows some of us to count on a few hours of clear air each day.  For me it's well after dark.  In the late afternoon when the wind blows the smoke trail to the east I know it's coming because first the air and sky get gray with smoke.  Then the air and sky start turning yellow.  The denser the smoke, the deeper the ocher color until I can get an ugly, dark muddy brown.

Kind of like Dante's inferno, seems to me.

Air color as smoke changes direction
At the time of this post, it looks like the middle image here.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, and when the smoke comes, so does the headache and sore throat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And just like the stories I've read about roosters crowing and cows coming home to be milked at the onset of a solar eclipse, critters here also respond to the darkening of the sky. Mockingbirds begin their evening songs and my horses wander back to the paddock for dinner.

    ReplyDelete