Tuesday, June 14, 2011

#WallowFire Note from blogmaster

#WallowFire Note from blogmaster

Today will be the final day that this blog will be updated.  The blog has been a volunteer effort on your blogmaster's part, and she has to go back to earning a living.

I appreciate the support I have received putting this blog together.  Tonight I will post a list of people I want to thank for the support I have received.  I hope I don't forget anyone, but it's been so hectic that I know I will miss some names and for that I apologize in advance.

I am gratified that people have found the information on this blog useful.  To be quite honest, aside from local input, getting information out of "official" (not local people) sources has become more and more difficult as the fire has gone on and I'm disgusted and angered about that.  I was told just yesterday that the command level emergency people who came in to take everything over determined that fire information was "confidential" until released by "official" sources.

Official sources have had delays of half a day or more in some circumstances!  The info hotline people I worked with have been gracious and apologetic about the info delays, but they have had no control.  The people in command are the ones who decided about confidentiality.  When it is your life and that of your loved ones on the line, when it's your home and your property at stake, no information about a fire should be confidential.  In my non-legal opinion, withholding timely information is a criminal act.

If you think it is important for this kind of local and immediate information to be available in times of emergency, please contact your county commissioners and your state and federal legislators.   Thank you for reading this blog.

6 comments:

  1. Your blog has been the timeliest, most detailed, and most accurate source of info about the Wallow Fire. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog site has had the MOST and the most frequent updates and info about the fire than any other site, including inciweb.org, which I could not get to open all weekend! Your reporting and that of others has been valuable, and I'm sure has decreased the calls to the various numbers that has been posted around. All they have to do is put a "hold harmless" statement on their info, and get it out. Maps are very valuable. So is data. Not knowing info. from the "sources", spreads rumors and is hurtful to many! You have been "pro-active", whereas the departments have been more "reactive" and not timely in getting information out. Communication is the root of understanding and not spreading rumors. Shame on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you V! Send your comments to your local and state elected officials, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I really appreciate you and your time to make this information available. This blog has been one of the best sources for reliable information regarding the fire, etc. Please know that your work has not gone unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome, Marla. I'm really glad to have been of service.

    ReplyDelete